Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

This is so true. Personally, I have some relatives who do that. Their family income is at least 250k PA. They live in HDB all their lives. They own investment properties in D9, D10. But they never reveal this to ppl outside the family. Neither do they hao lian hao lian display the condo decal on their humble car. Sometimes, I wonder how these ppl contain their joy on such financial successes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Income wise, your household is in the middle middle income group. But your lifestyle - staying in condo (I am guessing a 2 bedroom one), conti car and twice yearly holidays, is that of an upper middle income household. Keeping up with the Joneses is not a good idea. Better to set aside more buffer for emergencies. They have a bad habit of springing up on you without notice.

Saving $30k pa means you will need at least 6 - 7 years of saving before you can pay up for another car! At 46, 49 already there isn't that much time to build up a solid nest egg.

On the other hand, I know of many upper middle income people who are very frugal. Some of them will swear by their HDB flats - they are happy staying in the same HDB since they got married even though their incomes have increased many fold. Many prefer Jap cars for their reliability. The most extravagant car they are willing to spend on is the Camry or Jap MPV. Their watches are practical Casio watches. If they have multiple properties, they are not telling. They don't boast. But we know they earning at least $300k pa for the position they hold.