Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much savings do you have?
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2014, 10:11 AM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Both my fiance and I are 28, and our combined salary is 6.5k. We're both diploma holders and have been working since we graduated from poly.

Our 3-room BTO will be ready this year - I have the following questions:

1. Our combined savings are about 28k, is this a good amount?
2. We have no debt, nor investments are we are both too chicken for it so we save up the traditional way by plonking all our savings into a savings account. We try to save about 800 each month combined. Is this a good amount? (Ha similar question to #1, I know)

We lead a comfortable lifestyle and we eat out/drink regularly. We also have a habit of buying higher-end clothes, but only as a treat. We hardly take cabs and rely mostly on public transport. We aim to keep our home renovations minimal (read: really plain) and hope to DIY and keep it to below 8k.

As for other expenses such as wedding, I don't think we'll be having a lavish one or even holding one at all... yes, we're pretty much non-traditionalists haha.

How do you guys feel about our lifestyle and method of saving? Is this realisti?
28k after HDB down payment?

Either ways, it's a little on the low side though.

What is your definition of "higher-end clothes"?

One way is to go for higher value clothes by tailoring. Better quality than most of the junk out there, fits you better, somewhat more unique, and if you take care of them properly they last much longer too.