Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes and no. Once you reached it you will know what I mean.

Yes - if the money dropped from the sky (like striking TOTO) then yes, you will be smiling and feeling light headed, and generous. Yes, you will have this feeling with money coming your way that you dont have to work hard for.

No - if you worked hard (blood and sweat) for every cent, you will not be smiling. You will think to yourself, wah, this money I have, I nearly sold my soul, my health, my youth to get it. You will be very aware how hard it was to accumulate the wealth but how easy to lose it, and thus developed a little paranoia about losing it.

And if you built up this wealth throughout your life and now in your 50s, like myself, you will not feel rich because you dont always have the money in cash as they could be spread over the various commitments you made - your house, your car, your shares, your children's education fund etc.... Basically your lifestyle has been the same for many years, and you dont feel any different when your net worth grow to $4m or more.

For us, we will be thinking if we have $10m, we will go to bed smiling, but I think the $10m guy may not be smiling if he had built it up through his hard work.
What a sad state of affairs, that even $4M is not enough. In fact, if I have accummulated $4M through sheer hard work, I would probably be happier than if I have achieved it through striking lottery. Perhaps you will feel better if you can make the money work for you, i.e. put in income-generating assets so that the passive income generated can cover your expenses.