Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 13-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

You are not alone. Quite a number of mid-career professionals have taken this path. More than 3 of my friends are doing this. The key is sustainability. One told us he made $1m in one year only to lose it and more subsequently. Income from employment is sustainable. I am not sure if trading in stocks can give consistent returns over the years. To provide some level of certainty to their income, some enterprising ones even conduct seminars and courses on technical analysis. All of them have wives working and is their backup during bad years. They told us if their wives not working, they will die die look for a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm in my 40s, I was doing well but due to office politics, I left. Ever since, I tried getting a job but was not successful. I then thought of driving a taxi but decided not to as it is simply unthinkiable for me as I am a very learned and experienced professional.

Since I am good at investing, I decided to invest full time. But to make this sustainable, I need a significant amount of capital. I discussed with my wife and she is supportive. So we sold our landed property and downgraded to a 3 bedroom condo. I was able to sell my landed property at a good profit and buy my condo, paying in full. I was also able to pay off all my other loans, and have $1m as a start up investment capital for me. I manage to get a decent amount of returns from my stocks investments, better than any fund manager in the world. I manage my portfolio actively full time.

Now my family income (together with my wife's salary) is about $170k pa while our expenses is $120k pa. I have no debt.