Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - DSTA (under Mindef)
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1) Correct. MAC can take either of the forms.
Additional point being that "industry" also encompasses the environment internal to DSTA. Some people, for one reason or another, fall behind other comparable members within DSTA. So that is taken care of by MAC.

2) Not true. Perhaps your friends have not fought for their own progression and development. The fact that they continue to stay despite being unsatisfied may suggest that that is their nature.
Personally, I insisted on learning valuable technologies and that put me in good stead when I decided it was time for me to leave.

3) Maybe I was lucky - I did not experience bureaucracy and red tape. That also wasn't a general problem, by the way.
People who are interested in going to DSTA shouldn't consider this as a negative factor.
I think our definition of bureaucracy is different. It is the very essence of our public service. Unless you tell me you can make decisions yourself without having to attend multiple forums? DSTA is very conservative so there is little to no empowerment of the rank and file. Again our definitions may be different of empowerment but I'm comparing to the private sector companies I've since worked at.

In terms of learning, what can be learnt at DSTA in terms of technical knowledge is way below that in the private sector, though that is because I hopped to foreign MNCs. I find that the "technical" knowledge I learnt at DSTA is superficial. The only thing I learnt there is project mgmt and soft skills and if that is your chosen path then it's good transferable knowledge. Otherwise look elsewhere.