Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Should I switch job?
View Single Post
Old 24-12-2013, 10:37 AM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonique View Post
Should I switch? The annual income is just less than 2k difference but with a higher basic. My main concern is will the higher basic enables me to ask for a higher salary if I switch job? I have went for several interviews and input 2.4k as my expected and they said it's a big jump from my current. The pull factor for staying is this current company is the leave. If I don't utilize them, I can cash it and the annual income will work out to be around the same? Push factor will be the higher basic. Job scope wise, both jobs are around the same, prospects wise, my current job is quite stagnant already. I'm not sure if I should wait till I get my degree to switch (1 more year, 2015) or switch now and not waste my time here. Advices please!
IMO, yes, you should switch.

1. Current job is stagnant. No new projects, opportunities etc means you will not get the recognition (and rewards) nor be able to gather enough experience to make a significant jump up when you jump ship

2. Employers (most of them anyways) will consider how much to pay you based on your last drawn salary. This often translates to "last drawn basic pay" unless it is common for your current and future job to compute allowances etc inside (claims are taken out of the equation).

3. From what I've heard, a diploma holder who gets a degree part-time while working will more than likely be paid fresh grad salary when they make a jump. So...

Go for higher basic anyways, if you know you will still be changing jobs in the mid-term.