Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Was my expected salary too high?
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by peMeo View Post
Hi all,

I have a bachelor degree in Financial and Accounting, which i think it's not so well recognized in Singapore. And then I got a offer from a small VC as Chief Administrative Officer. They offered me 2.1k as starting. I thought it wasn't too bad. However, my experience with this job was like hell. I was hired under this VC but I had to work for 3 different companies. I had to do all the admin, accounts, and operations, and being ordered around by another 2 staffs (not bosses). Quit may sound easy for some of you but not for me.

Anyway, I made my way through, and proved my abilities. So after 2 years up and down in that mess, now my current salary is 3.6k, and handle 6 companies instead of 3. As each of the boss has more than 2 companies. I initialized accounting system, and handled all the corporate secretary matters in the companies.

My concern right now is about my career advancement. As I don't think staying at this company will bring me any higher. I am very interested in Accounting and Auditing. Couple of months ago, the Auditing company that i am working with head hunted me, but I do not want to join them because it's a family business company (all father, sons, and son-in-law working together in the same company) So I've been applying jobs to some other CPA firms instead, but I've never get shortlisted Was it because my expected salary ~3.5k does not go well with my experience?

I am currently pursuing ACCA and ICSA (at the professional levels), expected to complete 1.5~2 yrs years time.

Appreciate if you can share some thoughts with me. Thank you!
My guess is the 2 years of admin work you done at the vc does not really count for account ing and auditing experience as it consist of only a small part of what you do. Without relevant experience I would say 3.5k is a rather high asking pay. IMO you may not like working for that family owned accounting firm but you should have still joined them. The experience would have helped in your future job hunt on relevant industries. And woah 2.1k for the fresh grad sounds terrible.