Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2013, 12:05 PM

aplover is on a distinguished road

let me share my story.

I enjoyed physics and maths in school and wanted to become an engineer like my dad who was a civil engineer with HDB then. I did well in A'levels and got a place in NUS EEE to start during 2003.

During my time in NS 2001-2003, my dad told me to change my course of study as the prospects are getting dimmer and bad for Engineers. Even my dad was a head of division, drawing 5 figure salary said his time was coming soon. This was just before the time of HDB breaking up and huge retrenchment in PSA and HDB (not sure how many of you remember this). My dad mentioned that there were just too many imports coming in then. That it was getting easier to replace senior high cost engineers with junior cheap engineers. Problem with engineering is regardless of whatever line, you will always be seen as a cost and you will be a problem unless you go into project management or management position. Even in a management position, a company needs much fewer managers to manage a larger team of cheaper engineers. So what does this mean for the high cost senior engineers? Retrenchment exercise comes along and poof these guys will go. And mind you, economic cycles are getting tighter and more volatile. Meaning we will experience a downturn more frequently every 3-4 yrs potentially which increases the chances of cost trimming exercise to happen.

After I heard about this regularly, I decided halfway to switch to local uni busienss school and am glad i made the switch.

The fact of the matter is I love physics and maths. In fact if i was overseas in Western country, i would study art and do something for my career that involves using my hands which would still be paid respectably not like the situation in Singapore and Asia in general. But in Singapore, we have to be realistic and do jobs that have high chance of economic growth and success.

For all the merits and importance of engineering, engineering is a cost, and you get riskier and costlier as you gain seniority. Your value doesn't grow as much as the cost factor. As long as companies continue to import cheap FT engineers who can do similar jobs as our locals (although yes the communication skills are lower in general), engineer's wages in general will stay depressed.

Do think carefully...