Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 29-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At 50%, I'm hardly overleveraged. I get $250K in dividends versus $40K of interest payments. It's not a mortgage, just a loan facility, and the loan doesn't amortize. In any case, I have enough savings to sustain $40K interest payments for quite a few years, even if interest rates double. If the property market falls 60%, its still a $3.2m home.

Also, your view that REITs fall 90% is extreme. Even during the recent global financial crisis, they didn't go down that much. Take A-REIT, which is trading around $2.30, if it went down 90%, it will be worth 23c only. The dividend is 14c a year. So it's quite unlikely that it will go down such that 2 years dividend, you get your money back. Unless you say that A-REITs dividend will go down. Maybe, but REITs pay out 90% of their earnings, and A-REIT has very long rental contracts with MNCs, so it shouldn't go down that much. Anyway, I held REITS through the global financial crisis and their dividends were only mildly affected even though the stock price fell. Having been through that, I'm not worried.
Your loan to asset is only 33% (4/12) so you are right that you are not overleveraged. And you are also right to make use of current cheap interest rates to borrow at <1% into relatively stable assets that yield >5% and earn the difference.

However, there is a major issue of diversification of risk here. Basically you have all your baskets in 1 asset class which is property. REITs are also property plays. So if property prices drop significantly by say 20-30% (which is possible in a bad scenario), then you will find that your REIT value drops too and so will rentals which affect the REIT yield. And if really sway, the revolving 1 mth interest rates you are loaning can increase to 3% when fed stops taper and raises interest rates in 2015/2016.

The other major issue is that too SG centric. Singapore is a small part of world. If we screw it up, property will plunge even if world is growing well. Then you get the double whammy above.

So be careful. I would do the leverage but invest in equities, bonds and REITs and even alternatives with cash(not leveraged). You can still get about 5% returns but more diversified. And i would buy global assets not just SG ones.

BTW, this is from someone who is also leveraged about 30+%, but net worth above 25M.