Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 21-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I'm currently drawing $3k from a multimedia job.. Tough industry with no OT pay/bonus and really long hours..
Getting pretty tired with this lifestyle.. I do not have a degree, but I do hold 2 art diplomas..(which I believe is useless for jobs in govn sector) I'm thinking of switching to the civil service side.. Gonna start a family soon, and I need the family time and stability..

So for now, I'm planning to go for a degree to upgrade myself before trying for govnmt sector.. I will be turning 30 years old next year, is it possible to get in with those 1year degree or is it very hard? Does it has to be field specific? Or can an art degree still get into the civil service? Or can you guys please advise which field of degree should I pursue?

Sincerely thank you guys for reading this and who will be advising me.. Thanks.
Personally, I think it would be very hard to enter Public Sector under MX scheme with those 1 year degree. Though there are more and more instances whereby certain agencies are more lax and accepting graduates even from DL degree, I think those are generally 3 -4 years curriculum.

It does not have to be field specific, though certain job requires you to be equipped with expert knowledge (e.g. Accounting for Auditor etc). With your past experience, it would perhaps be more advantageous to you if you apply for corp comm or events management job in the Public Sector. Get the relevant degree and perhaps you may have a higher chance to join the Public Sector under the MX scheme (for graduates).