Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 20-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

We have been told to work as long as we can, supposedly because of longer lifespan and insufficient savings to last us through. But even if we wanted to work, will there be work for us?

This post by Kelvin shows the reality on the ground: How to Survive in Your Job Till Retirement

His observations are very real. Among my cohort in the 50 yr age group, not a small number have already "retired" from their primary careers. Some have totally stopped work while others are doing jobs that they were over qualified for. Consequently they are earning lower salaries. I am among the fortunate few who been with one and the same employer since I joined the workforce 25 yrs ago. No one can guarantee that the job will be there when I turn 55 not to mention 65.

So, on the financial front, I always believe and advocate that we should plan for "retirement" at 55 or earlier if our income permit the higher savings required for "early retirement". Financially, my spouse and I are ready for retirement (now at 50) but we still work. Each day, month and year will be bonus for us. We live to work, not work to live.