Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - In dilemma
Thread: In dilemma
View Single Post
Old 18-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayson View Post
Thanks for replying to this thread.

My jobscope requires me to handle biological agents, some of them are life threatening or could result in serious health conditions. Together with the previous mentioned reasons, I have decided to seek other jobs. I do have sufficient savings to tide myself over for an estimated period of 10-12 months, so it's not really about being financially unstable/stucked.

I'm aware that the logical decision would be to stay in the current position till a job offer. However, I don't feel comfortable with continued interaction with these biological agents. This is the major factor that leads to the dilemma to quit without any job offer. I have asked my friends and most of them urge me to stay till I land a job offer. As such, I would like to know how would strangers advice me on this matter.

With this in mind, what would you advice me ?
Are you working in a research lab? I use to handle viruses and carcinogenic chemicals during my stint in a research lab as well, but so long safety measures/precautions are taken, I see no reason why one will be in danger.

From what you've said, I gathered that you're still staying with your parents, single, and have no other financial commitments (e.g. study loan, housing loan, and car loan etc). That will be your advantage should you decide to quit before securing another job.

Bear in mind that the job market may not be as positive nowadays, and ask yourself if you can stand staying at home all day, attempting to look for jobs, attending numerous interviews without offers, and face the awkward situation when friends and relatives ask what are you working as.