Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Choice: Consumer Banking or Business Banking?
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i dun think its possible to make it to a private banker in just 2 or 3 years if you join as a consumer banker right? correct me if im wrong but i think private bankers are mostly all in their 30s at least. also, i dun think its possible to get into IB if you join as a consumer banker, what you should be looking at is to move up to head the whole branch instead.
You are missing the point, I’m not saying you cant move from CB to PB/IB in 2 years, I’m saying in my 2 years there in 3 branches I have never heard anyone including much older people make the successful transition. Many have the attitude of hoping for a move and they talk about it a lot, but they never got anywhere close.

Of course if you stay in CB long enough can make it to some branch supervisor role, but lets get real here most people do not join a bank and work that kind of crazy hours and deal with that level of stress and KPI just to become some lousy branch manager, they take it because they hope it is a door for them to land in a good position to unlock the mega bonuses.

If I had wanted to be some branch ops manager or sales team lead, I would have joined any MNC or local blue chip and I will still get the same pay and progression minus those mad hours.