Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - becoming a lawyer?
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:51 AM
ATIPOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahyi View Post
good morning!
I know the Singapore bar will not allow me to practice law locally with the below certifications.

I have a question here. Say, I manage to get a 2nd upper bachelor in law, from ITC, awarded by UOL, what are the career opportunities available? I appreciate any inputs!

Thanks in advance!
You can join a law firm or corporate MNC as a pralegal executive doing basic legal adminsitration work.

The problem with lousy degrees from UOL is firstly legally you are not considered qualified person for admission. Not only that, althought theoretically you can be a private legal counsel, but as a matter of practice companies will not hire your kind of profile as their counsel.

Your best bet out of this sticky situation is to make sure your grades >P70, slug it out as a paralegal in a reputable law firm in Singapore for a few years, after that either take up a Diploma in Singapore law or if you meet the LTP criteria go sit for for Part A SBE.

After getting qualified person status, get your exisiting law firm employer to sponsor your PTC and gain admission. Alternative to no PTC is to sit for Part B of SBE and gain admission. After admission whether you want to practice or move on to general counsel roles is up to your interest.

Otherwise you will forever be stuck doing paralegal which honestly is just glorified clerical work.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app