Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Staying in a condo is really good, especially one with full facilities (tennis courts, swimming pools, gym, etc), so I can understand your desire to stay in one.

How old are you? With children in primary school, I take it that you are in your late 30s or early 40s. It is not clear whether you or your wife is earning $40k. But the fact that your family is able to save $40k pa means that your expenses are covered by one of your incomes.

People are paid high salaries for their skills, knowledge, responsibilities and experience. Even among doctors, lawyers they start out with relatively average salaries. They are paid higher only when they gained more experience, start specializing and / or take on higher responsibilities. Among the engineers I know, most start earning $200k only when they become managers.

If you think your current job scope has no more upside, you can change industry. Doing more jobs is not really the solution. I mean how much do you think a taxi driver (on shift sharing) can earn? As for insurance and property agents, I think sometimes they end up spending more than than they earn. They spent a lot on advertising, printing name cards, driving here and there to conduct open houses without securing any deals. My retired neighbor is doing exactly this - part time insurance and property agent. I see him like everyday shake leg at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a wife, earning $40k pa. My children are in primary school. We live in a 4 room BTO flat (2nd time) which we have paid up using the sale of our first BTO and savings. We don't have a car and we eat home cooked food most of the time. We only manage to save $40k pa. Are we doing ok? How can I earn more? Should I take up part time taxi driving, part time property agent or part time insurance agent? Appreciate advice from those who has made it big. How do you earn $200k pa? I want to buy a condo and enjoy swimming pool, gym, tennis court in a nice, peaceful environment. Can I ever afford to live in a condo? Please help. Thank you.