Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Project Manager Path
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
After reading through this whole WOT I still dont understand what you are asking. You want to be a Manager? You want to have pay rise? You want to be in the medical device industry? You dont really care about any project / industry as long as you can get "promoted"? I am confused.

I interact extensively with the medical device major MNCs, what I can tell you is 8k salary is only like a PMO Associate in big companies like GE, Philips, Medtronics, J&J etc. and these companies not likely to take in someone with only local small company experience even for such junior roles.

I don't think even the smaller ones like Boston, Covidien, Edwards, HillRom etc will accept you, so if you want to break into the medical device industry, your best bet is to join a local or Asia based medical OEM manufacturer and try to spend 3-5 years building your connection in this industry.

If the manager title is all you want, just look for companies that are generous in their business designation, some of them offer external manager title for people as low as 5k+.
Thanks for the reply.

I am working for a local OEM manufacturer. Although I am somewhat frontline, I don't get much chance to "build connections". Chances for RFQ aren't that many even, much less actually getting a real project. The company isn't exactly small (and certainly nothing compared to the likes of GE etc) but things aren't going very well for my interests.

The whole WOT was very fragmented and there were too many stray ideas. I was just throwing ideas out and yes, it's confusing because I'm confused.

But let's say I want to move into the medical device industry (especially interested in NPI and product development projects), my best bet now will be to move to a bigger OEM manufacturer that has more involvement in medical device related projects? GE and Philips may still be a far cry away but a step ahead is still an improvement.

Please share more suggestions and drop a couple of company names too if you don't mind.

Just for the record, some "managers" even in engineering can get as low as 3.5k.