Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Since your net worth is already $5m, you should just quit. Sell your bungalow and buy a cheap $800k studio or one bedroom condo in the Jurong region. J Gateway is selling only $800k, very cheap. You can retire comfortably. With $4m, you can invest at 5%, gives you $200k per year. With high stress of work, there is a high possibility of dying at 60 years old. I see many senior executives dying in their 50s and 60s as they have high stress, they drink and smoke and womanize. So, you should repent, stop all the sins and retire peacefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
By April next year, I would have worked 30 yrs. I would also be 55 then. Having participated in a marathon before, I could not help but find similarities between the two.

You start with a vision, an aim that you want to do well. For your career, you aimed to be somebody, to be still consulted when you are in your sixties for your experience and wisdom. For the marathon, your main aim is to complete the run, then you want to do it within certain number of hours.

The first 5 yrs, you are enthusiastic and energetic. The first 5 km, your body warms up and you feel good. The next 5 to 10 yrs, you established yourself, get promoted and gets to lead your own team. Things are looking good. The next 5 to 10 km, you settled into your rhythm, and you begin to cruise. At this stage in both your career and marathon, you feel like you could go on forever.

In the next 10 to 20 yrs, you begin to be exposed to more office politics as you are given more responsibilities and have to look after your staff's interest as well. Your stress level goes up but still manageable because you still have bosses to shield you. At the 10 to 20 km distance, your body acts up more. You start to wonder if you could really finish the run, not to mention completing it within your target time. At this point in your career, you will also see some of your friends / cohort quit the rat race. At this stage of the run, you see lots of people walking, people dropping out of the race altogether.

From 20 to 25 yrs, you see your career coming to a plateau. You realized you are 50, not so marketable anymore. Your body also not so tolerant of the stress. You start to think maybe that's enough. At 25 km, you probably would have hit the runner's wall. You want to give up.

Now coming to 30 yrs of work, you become more philosophical, you also look at your bank account more. You tell yourself maybe 5 more years and that's it. At 30km, your body is like not yours. You have been walking a lot. You asked why you are doing this to yourself.

My point is, many people say they will work till 65, 70 etc, but the reality can be very different. My bet is many will quit by 55 if not earlier.