Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How to be rich?
Thread: How to be rich?
View Single Post
Old 17-07-2009, 10:05 AM
not so lucky

Thanks for the frank sharing and advice. We seldom get such insights like what you've posted here. (Usually the successful people will attribute their success to hard work and how clever they are, yada yada.)

Following your advice, I'll continue to network around and create opportunities for myself. Then I'll just let lady luck handle the rest.

People say the 1st million is the hardest. Since you've got it already, I guess the next few millions will come naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think being in a big4 for a few years plays no harm, training and exposure is good while you figure out what you want to do in life. A strong accounting background always helps in doing financial analysis and modelling, key skills for junior front-line banking staff. However, I don't advise hanging in an audit firm for more than 2-3 years if audit/accounting is not your calling in life. It is very difficult to switch careers after that.

To not so lucky:

Yes, I am lucky, I don't try to understate that. I was in the market at the time when new hirings in the financial industry was booming and therefore I got recruited. I don't think it would have been possible today. I would not have gotten in if I did not study accounting which gave me a solid background which led to the hiring, so I was lucky I choose to study accounting. I was also lucky that the people who interviewed me, selected me out of a whole bunch of other people. I guess its a combination of luck and creating the opportunity.

As long as you are in the financial industry, you have a chance. Just work hard and create more opportunities for yourself like doing more training, networking and luck will definitely come. Even if you don't make it really big, you can count yourself thankful compared to many others who make significantly less than you.

Cheers