Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How to be rich?
Thread: How to be rich?
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

Default Luck plays a part but you need to create your own opportunity

I am 36 years today and accumulated my 1st million (only liquid assets excluding property) when I was 34 years. I had no inheritance and made little money from my investments. I agree that having luck and a mentor plays a great deal, but you also need to create your own opportunity for luck to happen.

I was an auditor with a prestigious Big 4 for a couple of years when I started out my career. I started out with a measly $1.6K/month and even after 3-4 years experience, my pay only hit $4/month. I could have to stuck to a safe job, but I got sick of the job because I did not enjoy it and it did not pay well as my wife a banker was already making $7K/month after 3-4 years experience.

I knew then that to make decent bucks, I knew I had to join a career that gave me the opportunity to make the big bucks. I knew that banking/fund management was the lucrative career. I basically created my own opportunity by cold calling, sending out unsolicited CVs and religiously applied for all possible jobs I saw on the newspapers. I finally received a few job offers and finally took the job that I thought offered the most potential.

It turned out to be the right pick as after 4-5 years, I made $500-600K per annum. I was lucky to have a boss (mentor) who was fair to me and compensated me fairly.

So actually I think its always a combination of factors that leads to success or wealth. Luck and having a mentor always plays a big part, but creating the opportunity is important. Working hard alone gets no where, you need to work hard in the right career to get there.

I also know of a friend who became a millionaire because he had the foresight to invest all his savings into one prime property. He was not rich, but he had saved hard and had the guts to take the risk and create that opportunity. With that one property alone, he made a cool million.

So I think the key is that you have to create the opportunity and then let luck play its role.