Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Importance of securing Honours Degree?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Verified Member

Fugutaiten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You have a few questions intertwined. Let me offer my views / opinions to some of them.

1. Is having good honors important?
Imagine you are competing with your cohort for jobs. As employers of fresh graduates, one of the key things they look at is your academic results. Unless there are other criteria such as your internship at the company, medical or security consideration, it is only logical that the company will select those with better results first. So yes, a good honors degree can be a big advantage.

2. Engineering job sucks.
Engineering work is hard. Pay is not among the highest, but is adequate to set up a family and to lead a comfortable lifestyle. There are many engineers in Singapore with many "seniors" earning over $150k pa. or much more if they progressed into management roles. Many who remained in their jobs since graduation till retirement at 55 would have saved a few millions.

3. Would it be good to take up ACCA?
My take on this is : you cannot avoid competition. If you change from engineering, you will be competing with another group of professionals. You must know where your interest and passion lie. You cannot be mediocre and expect employers to notice you.

By the way, I am an engineer for 30 yrs already.
Hi, may I know what kind of engineer are you? How does your work typically like when you first started out? Thanks!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app