Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Importance of securing Honours Degree?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

You have a few questions intertwined. Let me offer my views / opinions to some of them.

1. Is having good honors important?
Imagine you are competing with your cohort for jobs. As employers of fresh graduates, one of the key things they look at is your academic results. Unless there are other criteria such as your internship at the company, medical or security consideration, it is only logical that the company will select those with better results first. So yes, a good honors degree can be a big advantage.

2. Engineering job sucks.
Engineering work is hard. Pay is not among the highest, but is adequate to set up a family and to lead a comfortable lifestyle. There are many engineers in Singapore with many "seniors" earning over $150k pa. or much more if they progressed into management roles. Many who remained in their jobs since graduation till retirement at 55 would have saved a few millions.

3. Would it be good to take up ACCA?
My take on this is : you cannot avoid competition. If you change from engineering, you will be competing with another group of professionals. You must know where your interest and passion lie. You cannot be mediocre and expect employers to notice you.

By the way, I am an engineer for 30 yrs already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badoo412 View Post
I am currently studying mech eng currently having second lower (boderline)...wasn't in the mood for studies after NS but managed to pull up my results after second year. I came across this forum and seen lots of sad stories about being an engineer. I felt demoralised.

Looking at my results now, I am pretty worried that it would affect my future career (eg. promotion ignored due to lousy grades compared to my colleagues with same/lower level of performance as me) and application (eg. applying for new jobs and subsequent jobs).

I have been pondering...

Besides higher starting salary, how important is it to secure a first class honours degree? Would the eng/biz grads with lousy grades be left out since they scored badly?

Some people says that what matters is the person's performance and not results. However, a fresh grad cant possibly have any experience when they are out for a job. Hence, would a third class/pass degree totally affect your chances when you apply for a job and subsequent ones?

I have been seeing people switching field such as taking up ACCA which seems pretty popular. Is it possible for a switch to other field and make it with such lousy grades?

Please share your valuable experience here as I am pretty sian right now after seeing so many negative comments with regards to being an engineer and with my bad grades i am not sure if i would be screwed in future.

Thanks!!!!