Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Calling it quits!
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
I have travelled first class before on company's expenses ..... it's nice especially so for egoistical needs. To me, the big difference is between economy and business. The upgrade between business and first is not that tangibly material, it appeals more to the ego. I can forgo that lah. After all, there are so many really wealthy people out there ..... as long as I can access some creature comforts, I am already satisfied.
There is a big difference between SQ business and first class, especially on long haul Suites and it's not ego. To save money, you can put the kids in business class. Haha

First of all, the seat is superbly comfortable compared to the horrible shapeless seat on SQ's new business class. You also have a separate bed, which feels like a real bed with real bed linen, not a converted seat. You can change into your supplied Givenchy pajamas by closing your door and shutting your windows. Food wise, SQ business has deteriorated significantly, but First is still top class and you can order almost anything anytime. The people you travel with are also far more interesting than in business.

Once I was in SQ's "Private Room" at T3 and I saw a CEO of a listed company that I know and went over to talk to him. I ordered some Chirashi Sushi and we were chatting, when a Singapore minister walks by with an aide carrying his suitecase. He recognizes the CEO and joins us. The young aide (who probably had an Oxbridge degree) just sits there completely mute, while the three of us chat and eat. Don't think I'd have that experience in the business class lounge Haha. As a side note, I now run into the minister occasionally when I do brisk walking in a certain part of Singapore at a certain time of the morning because he exercises at the same time. He recognizes me and we talk.