Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Singapore has what? 2.5 - 3 million workers? Top 20% household income is above $15k per month. The top 10% household earns twice that at $30k per month.

Even if we just use the top10% household, we would have the range of 12,500 to 25,000 people already. Just have 20 - 50 of these people posting here would be enough to create the impression that everyone is rich. By the way, unlike last time where wives stayed home to be housewives (even for those with degrees), nowadays most households are dual income. So even if individually each may be earning just $150k pa, together it is $300k pa. The $300k pa are for younger households (maybe late 30s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That is exactly the problem. People don't have the facts, so how should they judge the credibility of these posts? I like to think my suggested self check would help provide some sanity checks to these posts.

True, there are some people who might be earning that amount, but how many? and it would so happen that these people who are normally humble need to find a venue to show off their wealth and choose to do so in this forum? Maybe, I'll let the reader decide.

I do remember one the litmus test was for the reader to look around and decide for himself what is the more realistic salary. Just as the reader should decide if the neighbor next door happens to be some closet big shot CEO who's pretending to be humble, or if all his neighbors are CEOs or VPs somewhere else that he didn't know of. Again, I am not saying its not possible, just how likely is that going to be the case?

And just to set the record straight, lets just say that I considered myself to be doing pretty with a salary probably in the top 10 to 20% percentile based on my own assessment among my peers and in comparison to published statistics. I know several few senior management fellows, bankers and fellow investment professionals and even among them, the salary here are, well, not that common. I know, as a guide, that the usual number of senior management in a reasonable sized corporation should usually less than 5%. And, if you look up MOM statistics, you might noticed that finance sector takes up only a small percentage of the employment. So why is it that so many of them are in this forum?

Seriously, for readers who are curious of where they stand, take a look at the statistics out there and decide for yourself.