Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NTU Business or EEE
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Unregistered

Most of my friends are not doing as well as we had thought after graduating from EEE. We were all from NTU about a decade ago. Many changed career paths after working in the engineering industry for a few years. And no, none of them have become bankers. Because it is very hard for such a switch. But more about that later. Amongst my cohort, quite a handful have become teachers. I suppose some of them are doing well, having been promoted to subject heads or HODs. For the rest who remain in engineering, i would simply describe them in one word.....struggling. They work in electronic and semiconductor firms, with the majority of them as senior engineers. For those working in Singapore Technologies Electronics, I am sure you could approximate their salaries, since there are so many threads in this forum discussing their remunerations. It is typically late 3K to 4K region. The best of the lot barely crosses 5k. Then there are the popular choices such as Infineon (which conducted restructuring....Yes, retrenchment), Emerson, TECH, Micron etc. I think the luckier ones are those in semi-conductors. They probably earn 5-6K. Those who chose to work in electronics firm probably suffer the most. Retrenchment is often on the cards. When I was a student, they often say the scholars would study EEE. But i think times have changed. Hard to survive as an engineer. Only a handful made it to engineering manager....earning 7-8K. I concur with the person who mentioned that he/she would not advise his/her children to read engineering. I would not too.

Between EEE and accountancy....Go for accountancy if u can. I have friends who screwed up the course and got just a pass in the degree. But the nature of their industry is that they are usually able to survive. After working for 2 torturous years in the Big 4, many have since become internal auditors or accountants in MNCs. Can fetch 7-8K on the average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Smart choice. Luckily you did not listen to that Mr Idiot.