Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Default Minimum Service Period

Hi all,

Would really like to get your advice on this item. I've been working in a policy position in a stat board, this is my first civil service job and I am still under a probation contract. My ex-boss really liked me and my work, and gave me a chance to go overseas to the states for training and exposure. This resulted in me signing a minimum service period due to a training award.

After my ex-boss left 3 months ago though, I have had limited opportunities to work with her replacement. I was informed on the eve of my first year that the current job portfolio wasn't a good fit for me, and I would need to have my contract extended for another few months before they can consider confirming me as permanent staff.

I was further encouraged to apply for other jobs outside so that I have more options should I chose not to continue working with the statboard. I understand this is a bad sign for my future in the department. I'm not sure what lead to this result, as before my previous boss left I was graded quite well (B grader) in my mid-year assessment.

Regardless, I really want to continue working for civil service and will tough it out in my current department. But, in the case I take the advice of my current boss and secure a new job now, would I be able to return to Civil service with a broken Minimum service period? I heard of teachers breaking their bonds and returning to civil service in a few years.

Please advise if anybody has any experience.