Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Am I a loser or not
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think I am the biggest loser.
Used to earn $200k pa until last year when I lost my job. Don't ask why, too complicated.
Now spends my time doing house work, cooking and swimming in the condo pool.
I'm only 40, now feel miserable, earning only $50k pa of passive income while my wife earns $110k pa. Miss the adrenaline rush of ordering my staff and strategizing. Been searching for a new job, been to interviews but unsuccessful, the hiring managers are younger than me and probably see me as a threat as my CV is simply excellent. I can even qualify for a position of the CEO. Feeling very sad. My new friends are maids and security guards.
Count your blessings. You are still considered very lucky. At least you have a career wide whose income is reasonable and you have passive income. Combined, your annual family income is $160,000. This is above average by Singapore standards. If you think you will have difficulty getting a new job, what you need to do first is to adjust your family lifestyle and expenses on what you have. Cut down your expenses as much as possible. For instance, eating less in expensive restaurants, selling off your car and ride a bike instead, review your insurance policy to see whether you are over insured, etc. If you can cut your expenses to below $160,000 a year, then you will be ok. If you do get a new job, that will be a big bonus. At least, your passive income of $50,000 is quite decent and you are contributing and not being fed by your wife (totally shameful if you have no income contribution at all). Since you are now a house husband, this is commendable and I believe you can spend more time with your children and wife at home. And you get to use the condo facilities more frequently and meet new friends! Hey, life is not so bad, cheer up dude!