Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I sympathize with you.

You can move to another country to practice if you want. The road won't be smooth, there's a big price to pay, a lot to give up but it's still a choice. Canada has a program for International Medical Graduates which is extremely difficult to get into, but not impossible.

I moved from Singapore to Canada after I got my PR. I gave up my specialty training in Singapore early. Take the MCCEE, MCCQE1, NAC-OSCE and MMI exams then apply to CaRMS for a residency spot, get through the interviews, get accepted into residency, complete the Externship Program and then finally begin as a resident in your specialty. As a first year resident (R1) the salary is about CAD$60,000 a year. (CAD$1=SGD$1.21). You can google "CARMS" and "Physician Apply Canada" for more information.

Patients are definitely way more polite and respectful than the ones in Singapore. It's not a perfect system though but overall I think life as a doctor is just a lot more pleasant here in Canada than it was for me in Singapore.

You can also consider life outside of medicine which was surprisingly very very pleasant for me and I might return to it after my residency. Bottomline is, we all have a choice what we want to do. It is just the price that we are sometimes not willing to pay.
Hi, I'm a 3rd year Canadian medical student with a girlfriend in Singapore studying in medical school over there. I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on the process of getting a residency position in Canada? Specifically, I would be very interested to know how long it took you after getting your PR to secure a residency spot. Do you have an opinion on which province an IMG would have the best shot at? Were there any unanticipated differences in the work culture? Did you have to go for family medicine or did you manage to get into a specialty? Any information would really be appreciated. Thanks!