Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Default There are always options

I sympathize with you.

You can move to another country to practice if you want. The road won't be smooth, there's a big price to pay, a lot to give up but it's still a choice. Canada has a program for International Medical Graduates which is extremely difficult to get into, but not impossible.

I moved from Singapore to Canada after I got my PR. I gave up my specialty training in Singapore early. Take the MCCEE, MCCQE1, NAC-OSCE and MMI exams then apply to CaRMS for a residency spot, get through the interviews, get accepted into residency, complete the Externship Program and then finally begin as a resident in your specialty. As a first year resident (R1) the salary is about CAD$60,000 a year. (CAD$1=SGD$1.21). You can google "CARMS" and "Physician Apply Canada" for more information.

Patients are definitely way more polite and respectful than the ones in Singapore. It's not a perfect system though but overall I think life as a doctor is just a lot more pleasant here in Canada than it was for me in Singapore.

You can also consider life outside of medicine which was surprisingly very very pleasant for me and I might return to it after my residency. Bottomline is, we all have a choice what we want to do. It is just the price that we are sometimes not willing to pay.