Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What happened to Life Sciences?
View Single Post
Old 15-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Husky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by student View Post
Was it really that easy for you? The SAF Scholarship is second only to the President's Scholarship in terms of prestige. I suppose in your time, you at least had to be a straight-As student and also do well in your CCAs, right?
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

My definitions of SAF scholarships include the LSA or Local Study Award. Reason being the LSA was worth more than most scholarships. Back in my time, the LSA covers 100% of your tuition fees and includes a $10k allowance per year. Compare that with a PSC scholarship offering tuition fees and allowance of $5,500 per year.

Grades wise, I was probably somewhere in the qualifying criteria for LSA and the SAF Merit Scholarship. Then, in BMT, there were all these people from the recruitment centre coming over to give us talks. I remember the Major giving the talk telling us how he could help us push for OCS if we were to sign up with him etc, be it LSA, SAFMS or SAFOS.

I thought to myself, WOW! $10k a year. That's a lot of money for a 18 year old drawing $240 recruit allowance. I thought I will decide after I go to OCS, but I ended up in SISPEC! Nope, didn't bother to try and cross over as there were very limited places and too many outstanding people vying for them. Now approaching my 30s and nearing the end of my ICT cycle. I think it was a blessing in disguise.