Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What happened to Life Sciences?
View Single Post
Old 15-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Husky is on a distinguished road

Yup. Agree totally with you adbie. But then again, how many people knew what they wanted when they were 18? Back then I almost signed on with the army. Not that it's a bad thing but it's not really what I wanted. Was simply very tempted by the ease of getting a SAF scholarship .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbie View Post
Most young people in Singapore usually do not know what they want. They wait for their parents, teachers and even the government to advise them on what they should do. That is why we have whole generations (different generations though) of civil engineers, semicon engineers, IT people, and now life scientists.

For those who knew what they wanted, they may now be enjoying a better quality of "career satisfaction", but not necessarily a better quality of life (read: insufficient income).

In this capitalistic and materialistic society, money (and thus income) is of utmost importance. Once you embark on a wrong career, it's hard to maneuver out of it.

Ideally, students (if they are independent enough) should research wisely and strike a balance between income and self-satisfaction. Don't be a mime artist in Singapore if you know you can't make a comfortable living out of it. Another example: if I had known about the income of IT consultants in MNCs, I would have shaped my career path toward getting into such a role.