Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Overseas Education
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM

kefer is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on Overseas Education

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, but I would like to seek insights and advice on a matter that has been troubling me alot. Currently I possess offers from both NUS (Science) and Cambridge (NatSci), for deferred entry starting from next year 2014. This may seem an easy choice, but please give me a chance to explain.

I come from a middle-lower class family, and after speaking with them, they decided to support whatever decision I make with regards to this matter. I understand that they would have to scrimp and save, as well as have to undertake a mortgage loan in order to pay for my overseas education (about S$275k for 4 years MSci degree). However I am personally rather uncomfortable with this, especially since my parents would be retiring soon, and I feel I should only go to Cambridge if the future financial value (in terms of additional income) outweights the current financial cost (bank loan). Doing so, I would be able to repay the entire bank loan to them as quickly as possible for their retirement fund.

Therefore I would like to ask if pursuing a Cambridge degree is a financially-viable idea, or would be an unfair one to my parents. Since I lack much knowledge about the corporate world, I am truly looking forward to advice on this matter. Thank you in advance.