Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone heard of being a ship broker?
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a shipbroker (offshore) and yes, I can tell you nobody cares about promotions and career progression as brokers are generally very money-driven people. Promotions means you need to guide people/ take care of people/ spend time doing admin work. Roughly, if you are good, you should be a section head in about 3-5 years. Probably 10 years or so, managerial position should not be a problem as well.

Basic salary can be between 3-10k per month (depending on rank). Bonuses, depends on how much you bring in for the brokerage. Unwritten rule is 1/3 of the commission you bring into the co is yours. So actually, earning 100-300k in bonuses when you have less than 5 years experience is normal.

Qualities to excel: very hardworking (most brokers I know, will still turn up at 830 for work looking fresh like they didn't get drunk the night before), PR skills is very important, initiative, good time management. Good shipbrokers are generally very smart (street + book) as well. They read widely, listen/read news every day and have a good general knowledge of the industry and non-related stuff as well. This is so that you can carry out decent conversions with your clients and it gains their trust. Such shipbrokers usually rack in about 500k onwards in bonuses alone.

Don't think there is any ranking for brokerages as after all, shipbroking is a very "me" profession. You will do well as long as you are smart and willing to work hard.

Oh by the way, I am female and I earn a 6 figure salary annually. I can assure you that staying "pure" in the job is not difficult as long as you are not tempted.

hey who ever u are get in touch. need info on shipbroking. [email protected]