Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 23-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
from E&F here. No cca and nothing. Was doing part time jobs in year 1 and 2 while studying full time in SIM. Gotten my CFA level 1-2 at the end of my year 2 in SIM. Already secured my FCH in year 2 so year 3 was pretty relaxing for me. Got a ops role in UOB back office in tampines and converted to part time studies in my final year. Things were pretty hectic but i still could manage it. Left my job in feb to take a break and to focus on my exams (to see whether i could get a gold award ) Started my job hunt around in april, went to numerous interviews for mid office positions. Mainly analyst roles (risk mgt / fx settlements etc) with SCB, Morgan stanley, OCBC, DBS. Sent out about 40resumes to many banks and FI , hit rate is about 40% ? Already in my 2nd interview with morgan stanley and SCB, still waiting for the responses frm ocbc and DBS after my 1st interview with them. But at the same time im looking at other sectors such as commodities trading houses ( mainly physical trading but also bit on paper trading, either agri or energy)

My point is - every interview i went (errr.. about 10 or so? ), the interviewers were pretty impressed on how i managed to maintain my grades in such hectic schedules daily. Interviewers dont care whether you're a president of a SIM school club. Quoting from 1 of the interviewer i had , she said SIM-UOL is already a 3rd tier degree, without coursework, sem assessments, semester reviews by prof, etc etc. If one still couldn't get a FCH for it then it says a lot about your capability. Pretty harsh i say, but these are hard truths. Of coz ppl may argue academic ability doesn't determine one's ability.. well you dont tell me.. go tell it to most of the recruiters in banks.... 1 of my fnd was recommending me to go into stat boards and start from a "farmer" role then applying for post-grad sponsorship...
To all jobseekers , dont lose hope but pls open your eyes wide and see what's the reality out there. A FCH in UOL is as good as a average pass degree from local U...no big deal about it
Curious qns... How can you register for CFA level 2 while you are still pursuing your studies? Isn't the requirement for one to minimally completed their degree and failing to do so committed a breach on CFA regulation? Hmm.. so you registered on your first year in UOL for level 1 dec exam... which, when I'm quite sure when i register, we need to state that we are in final year of our university. And then.. you managed to complete your level 2 in June Exams 1 month after your uol exams and still secure a FCH by year 2.. meaning you score A for all your year 1 modules and A for at least 3 of 4 of your year 2 modules and still pass your CFA level 2 one month on which is coined as one of the hardest level. If you are for real... I'm very impressed and I dun know why you are in UOL. Unless you already have a degree prior to attending UOL? I'm pretty sure you will get Gold award given your capabilities. I dunno any firm silly enough not to hire you if you are as good a worker you say you are. Good luck!