Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 16-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Unregistered

Default Do you join to be teacher for a living? Or to become a GREAT teacher?

Sounds like we cannot run away with the cost of living in Singapore.

My thought is you get the fundamental correct, it is easier to get the rest.

Teaching is not easy. But it can be easy, if you are equipped with the toolbox. That's what I learn from a mentor at Lee Wei Song school. Although they are into enrichment music training, they make a lot of sense. I quote:

"Like a handyman, a teacher needs to have his own toolbox full of tools. Imagine if the handyman only has 1 tool to solve all his problems. Example, the handyman needs to hang a picture on the wooden wall, he uses a hammer to hit a nail. He has a perfect answer. What happens when there is no nail but a screw? If he only has a hammer, using brute force, he will get the screw hammer into the wood. But it is going to create a crack and very tiring in the process. The best solution to a screw is a screw driver. Students are like nail and screw, they come in different levels of understanding. The trainer needs to be equipped with hammer, screw driver, plier, saw, etc. The more tools the trainer possesses, becoming a great teacher is so much easier. "

They are running a Train-the-Trainer course. MDA subsidizes 70% or 90%, depending on your status. Check it out for seriously committed teacher or want-to-be.