Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Transition of career
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoOq View Post
Hence, back to work in SAF is definitely irreversible for my current situation. To be frank, I am ok to start off as a fresh grad. As normal degree fresh grad is ard age 24 for JC path, age 25 or 26 for poly path. Becoz I choose to settle down my marriage before I leave SAF, thats y ended up at age 28 now. So just take it as I am 2 - 3 yrs behind a normal fresh grad. However, I need more expertise and opinions from you guys that you all have accumulated throughout urs career which you best fit my situation and I can explore into. something to do with soft skills or sales that you guys out there are having gd prospect and gd job nature. Keen to share?
That's too bad, you should have done ur homework before quiting on impulse.

Anyway ur analysis is incorrect. You cannot just compare urself 28 yrs old with a local uni grad at 25 yrs old & conclude u r just 3 years behind. You are actually super disadvantage here.

Your degree is just a pte PT overseas one. This ranks the lowest as roughly MNCs & public service will take the prestigious overseas & local unis first. This is followed by the local big companies who take mostly the local unis and full time pte uni with corp exp.

Your PT degree together with the stigma of u wasting 8 years in the SAF will likely relegate u to competing for the SME jobs or leftover jobs with local big companies. You cannot expect to find a job that pays well (61k p.a.), have a good career & fast progression and also work life balance. Your profile will not be able to secure an Associate level job in banks, at best you can only go for those officer type jobs that sell credit cards, HDB loans, insurance etc that pay pittance and work crazy hours.

The typical SME pays 25-30k for a freshie, provides little learning & development opportunity and definitely 99% of them dont believe in work life balance.

Good lunck, ur gonna need it.