Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Transition of career
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM
sima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoOq View Post
Additionally, I would still wish someone could ans my qns. "One curiosity to note, i realize usually those banking sales person are youngsters, so where does all those mid ages or older sales person who previously is in banking sales stream into? branch manager or insurance etc.? is there any long term prospect in banking sales lines?"
Everyline has prospects, including the engineering field you want to get out of. It's kind of a pointless question if you ask me.

You will not see many middle age people doing consumer banking sales, the hours are too long and the competition too brutal. Most middle age fellows can't expend the time & energy to meet the KPIs and fight with the youngsters.

Youngsters do not cheong for the sake of staying in consumer banking, they usually do it hoping they will be the lucky few who make it to PB/IB/CB/Trading etc. where the big bucks lie. Maybe 1-2% will succeed, another 10% get some minor promotions to non-managerial levels like "Manager" & "AVP" after a few years and out of that an even smaller number will make it to manager level like "VP" & "SVP".

The rest will either move into more corporate back office roles or do sales in another industry after 3-5 years of going nowhere. Everyone will burn out sooner or later if it's just crazy hours without the big money in sight.

It is an extremely bad idea to go into banking sales hoping to have work life balance to start a family. I suggest you stay put in SAF, your pay is now way beyond what your skills are worth which is good. Why take 40% paycut to join some place and work like a cow to gamble on that tiny hope that you will make it big just as you are about to move on to the most important phase of your life?

If you leave SAF after 1-2 years & realise you belong to the majority 90% who cannot find the big bucks in banking, I can more or less confirm chop guarantee you will not get a job outside that pays 61k pa. with just a rudimentary retail level kind of sales experience.