Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Transition of career
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 05:44 PM
sima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoOq View Post
Tot of going to banking sales industry thru referrer. No doubt you may be drawing high pay as sky is the limit for sales industry, but i know the work life balance is usually quite tedious regardless u have been working for 2 - 3 yrs. I dun mind sacrifice made for first 2 yrs, but if is a prolonged damage, I dun tink I could take it esp if I plan to have kids in 2 yrs time. One curiosity to note, i realize usually those banking sales person are youngsters, so where does all those mid ages or older sales person who is in banking sales stream into? branch manager or insurance etc.? is there any long term prospect in banking sales lines? can anyone in relevant industries enlighten me whether should I take up banking sales industry as my career?

Or is there other field that with my qualification or related interest of mine i can explore into? shipping, oil rig, it cooperate sales etc? I dun mind a pay cut as long is not too much... but I willing to strive and wish to see some results in 2 yrs time that i could climb and the pay is justified in effort contributed. I hope that u all could share urs exp truthfully in these thread. thanks.
First things first, you've got a fun ride milking good money from SAF, now is sort of like payback time if you go back to pte sector.

First of all since you are into "work life balance" ala SAF style I suggest you not waste time going to banking sales. Most of the people who start off with consumer banking at the entry level are prepared to work 80-90 hour work weeks and burn their weekends to meet KPI. You will loose out very badly compared to the youngsters who ready to cheong. These jobs are brutal, no hit KPI within 6 months out you go.

As for things like branch manager, private banking, corporate banking etc. it is impossible for a SAF guy with no useful experience at all to jump inside like that. Insurance is just insurance, mostly commission, no sales = no pay. You want to take the plunge better make sure you have savings to last you at least 1 year without pay.

As for not taking too much pay cut, I think you need to be realistic. Although you are drawing 61k now, you specifically want to get out of engineering into a new field to have a better furture.

That means in the eyes of any employer you are just a newbie with no relevant skills at all. Why would anyone pay you more than a fresh grad of 3-3.2k? A typical average fresh grad will take at least 4-5 years to hit >5k salary, I don't think your 2 year horizon to get back your current SAF pay is realistic.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app