Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Transition of career
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Verified Member

ZoOq is on a distinguished road
Default Transition of career

Serving as a regular in RSAF for 8 yrs (age 28) abt 61k pa. I decide to quit. Exploring different trades and searching for a job now, with a electronic engineering degree and relevant financial certs such as m5,m9,m9a certs.

Having work in engineering line for these yrs, I would say tat these field is rather stable, versatile and broad, considering some with gd work life balance. You got no worries even when u kanna retrenchment, coz there are plenty of engineering job in the industries, with your skills and exp and if u are willing to accept minor pay cut, you would be resurrect.

However, I kinda lost passion with this field as the ceiling and increment is usually quite demoralizing and in someways most engineering pay dun justified for the effort and ot that u have contributed. Having means of friends in HR of engineering firm and friends in credit card industry, I know exactly how much most engineers (with technical job scope) is drawing even some with 10 to 20 yrs exp. very few could make it to the 7k to 10k markfor mthly salary (or above 130k pa) even u have 20 yrs exp. And if you are drawing salary such as 8 to 10k in engineering field, u are likely some high flyers holding major responsibilities (No offense for pple in engineering field.) As I understand most of them choose to remain in these field is becoz of the passion and pros that i mentioned in the previous paragraph.

So for now, considering I am very green in the society, I wish to transit into something different field that do with soft skills or sales regardless whether is relevant to engineering, this is a critical turning point of mine but kinda lost now.

Tot of going to banking sales industry thru referrer. No doubt you may be drawing high pay as sky is the limit for sales industry, but i know the work life balance is usually quite tedious regardless u have been working for 2 - 3 yrs. I dun mind sacrifice made for first 2 yrs, but if is a prolonged damage, I dun tink I could take it esp if I plan to have kids in 2 yrs time. One curiosity to note, i realize usually those banking sales person are youngsters, so where does all those mid ages or older sales person who is in banking sales stream into? branch manager or insurance etc.? is there any long term prospect in banking sales lines? can anyone in relevant industries enlighten me whether should I take up banking sales industry as my career?

Or is there other field that with my qualification or related interest of mine i can explore into? shipping, oil rig, it cooperate sales etc? I dun mind a pay cut as long is not too much... but I willing to strive and wish to see some results in 2 yrs time that i could climb and the pay is justified in effort contributed. I hope that u all could share urs exp truthfully in these thread. thanks.