Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - career as RSAF air force engineer ME4
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
from one ex-regular to another, what you've said is how i feel exactly.
i think while the pay cut is one component of the difficulties following leaving the force, the other is on the connections with the outside world in terms of qualifications, and being willing to start, in a sense, from zero in your career. unless, the skills/ experience gained in the service are suited for the new job you are having.

but i would like to differ from the point of saving $$ for some years before leaving, cos i do think that though a heavy pay cut is quite inevitable, a regular pay does help in easing your financial liabilities early in the career. more importantly to know what you want to do after leaving the service, else i agree with the bro above that its better to stay for the $, at least for the interim.
Well, I was trying to say that it's a risk they must consider. Hope that if anyone enters, they will at least know the reality before entering. Yes, there are rich regulars, but those people have high discipline.
I know of a BG who is a multi-millionare, perhaps richest in SAF, because he got lucky with palm oil stocks. But, rich regulars are really little. The temptation is too much. People can say, 'oh i will save'. But in the end it's just like you going to school on first day and saying 'oh i will top the school'. The harsh reality is, regardless of how high you are drawing, many SAF regulars end up poor in their 50s. When money comes easy, you won't appreciate it.

But anyway for people wanting to leave after bond, i'd suggest going navy as an engineer. Few reasons.
1) Navy personnel can find jobs in Marine industry easily. This is due to similar engines used for battleships. As opposed to air force engineer who deal with fighter planes and choppers, zero relevance to civilian industry. And also, marine industry NEEDS people. Even if you don't learn the same things, they are ready to train you and you will learn faster.
2) Navy personnel get higher allowance due to sailing allowance. Further more, since you are on board ship for months, you will get a pleasant surprise when you come back singapore and find yourself $20k-$30k richer with zero expenditure.
3) You get to travel around the world. (or region, at least)
4) You work for about 6 months a year unless you are in some really long sail. (due to the 'resting period'.
5) You get good experience on board a battleship. How cool is it? Sailing is an experience. A friend of mine was in navy. We left the force together. I really think he brings out more experience and memories than i do, significantly.

I strongly suggest Navy engineer instead of AFE since many are just thinking of short term. Esp on reason one.

Face the fact. Being an AFE won't make you an aerospace engineer after bond.