Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see many rich people in this forum. I'm not rich at all and now looking at ways to survive my retirement. I'm lucky to be able to afford a 5 room HDB flat near the city area which now can fetch at least S$4k a month in rentals. I bought this flat many years ago.

I am planning to rent out this fully paid flat to a FT family and use the rent to fund my retirement in Thailand. With the rent, I can convert to baht and rent a nice house near the beach and can eat nice seafood and enjoy a relaxing life.

Luckily I made the decision to buy this fully paid up flat which is now worth S$980K.

I am glad that we now have many FTs in Singapore for me to rent out my flat to.

Remember, your HDB flat is your asset. Don't sell it away. I feel we should not allow PRs to buy resale HDB flats. Instead, we should just allow them to rent HDB flats and this will enable older Singaporeans to rent to PRs and thus they can retire by enjoying rental income. So they dont have to drive a taxi to survive.
Yes, you are certainly not rich when you have to live in a third world country to stretch your dollar in retirement. Take heart that you are not alone. It is a world wide phenomenon. Americans by the thousands are spending their retirement in third world and developing countries like Costa Rica, Philipines, Thailand, M'sia and Indonesia.

Only problem I have with living in another country in my retirement is the lack of familiarity, no kakis to talk cock, children in Singapore, medical facility, missing the convenience of living in a city state. There is also the danger that your "host" country may not be that welcoming.