Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Serious Qns for Bankers from a student-IB FO, hedge funds, PE etc
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2013, 03:41 AM

SMayC is on a distinguished road
Smile Serious Qns for Bankers from a student-IB FO, hedge funds, PE etc

I don't know if I'll get serious (or any!) replies, but here goes:

tl;dr: Bankers please contribute your wisdom! Many thanks

Anyone working in Finance: IB/HF/PE etc? Current med student(early yrs) and hating it. Okay, not exactly HATE per se, just that I don't suit medicine. I'm not the typical rah-rah wannabe doctor who wants to SAVE THE WORLD, volunteers in Cambodia during the hols and so on. Neither am I one who relishes the thought of spending a decade or more studying for exams and such.

I'm a late bloomer re my passion (yes, cheesy word) for econs, finance and banking. Long story. Seriously thinking of switching to study economics. Probably applying to certain UK schools (you know, the targets)-better chance of getting my foot in the banking door. Maybe even to the US.

Can't see myself doing med till I'm old and grey. On the other hand, banking is so enticing. It appears to fit my character (slightly sociopathic, but all smiles on the outside, plus I thrive on stress). Love the idea of it, the game (!!!), the pursuit of success. The focused, main aim of making it rain money. Just exciting to me! And honestly, economics as a subject interests me a lot (also started play-trading on investopedia)

So, can anybody in the industry (sell side, buy side) please give advice? How did you start, progress, where you are now...anything. Would you do it again? Compensation adequate? I'm a female btw, if that matters. Also, is it very maths intensive? I'm fine with maths, but if crazy integrals and PHD knowledge are required on a daily basis...(that's just for quants, right?)

Another thing, do you have to be an overtly extroverted alpha (male) leader to survive? I am introverted, BUT I do communicate well professionally and am outgoing when needed (for networking etc).

I AM serious about this. Don't know if I can get into the right uni, but I HAVE to try now, lest I regret later in life and end up OD-ing on propofol. ha. Dream/Aim: Hedge fund portfolio manager (too high? okay, first aim to get into a target uni) Auspicium Melioris Ævi right? And not just 'hoping' but 'working for' a better age

Thanks for reading through. My heart on my (anonymous internet) sleeve right there. Will delete if there's no reply in a couple of days-too uncomfortable exposing my thoughts and aspirations as is. Might post on wallstreetoasis as well, but thought it best to get an SG perspective first. Here goes...pressing the submit button at 3.40 am.