Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 18-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Verified Member

MDtraveler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello MD Traveler, there is large variations in consultants' work hours in Sigapore. I cannot say that I know the latest since I have not been in Singapore for almost 10 years. There are several factors: a) type of work, b) hospital, and c) current staffing.

Typically surgical consultants have the longest and irregular work hours (with the exception Ophthalmologists). Internal medicine docs have regular hours but clinical rounds take forever. The few Anesthesiologists I had contact with seemed quite happy with their work hours. It depends if they are more OR-based or surgical ICU-based.

With regards to hospitals, SGH was the busiest, followed by TTSH, Changi and NUH. Not sure about Khoo Teck Puat because it was not there when I left Singapore.

The third factor is hard to predict. Hopefully it is well staffed, otherwise you will be asked to work overtime to cover. I think the overtime compensation for consultants is pretty good unlike that for residents. By the way, residents are paid for calls in Singapore unlike US. Again, I cannot say I know the latest rates. You should make sure that this is clearly stated in the contract.

As a foreigner, you should get a housing allowance since you don't have CPF (this is something like 401K or TSP in US). I have heard from some people that housing allowance is works out more than the employers' portion of CPF contributions.

All the best on your job interview!
Thanks a lot for all that information! It is much appreciated. I'll keep everyone posted on the interview, (though some details I'll send via PM, if anyone wants to know) and if I end up actually working in Singapore, I'll be happy to share whatever info comes my way.