Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

You are an inspiration. Can you share how you manage your household with $5k a month?
Can you share more on your current situation - how old are you, are you retired, how many properties you own and are they fully paid up (hdb or private?), how many kids you have and have they all finished schooling?, etc.

I am thinking of retiring as i am now already 55 years old, i own a fully paid up hdb flat which is worth $600K (bought at $100k) where i am staying today and a fully paid up condo (now worth $1.2m) which gives me a rental of $4k a month. my kids are grown up and working and i just need to support myself and my wife (not working). can i retire on $4k a month passive income? please advise. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Honestly, you are very well off.

I'm no where near you in annual income. But to prepare for retirement i live off on my rental yields. You are obviously going to do better than me. My rental is $5k monthly and I am living very comfortably. You are likely to fetch 10k, so what's holding you back?

You can even afford to go on trips with the dividends you are receiving occasionally.

You can even afford a small car to make travel around Singapore. You can retire now, like right now, if you can cut down on your spendings.

Education for kids? I strongly believe that parents will only need to provide for the basic. I told my son i will only provide money for local uni, he pushed himself hard and made it to NUS Business. The $30k tuition is well within my means. You may have different philosophy as i do, but i'm providing you with one way to manage.

Control your spendings. You will never earn enough.