Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think accepting a pay of $300-400 lower might not be a bad idea to gain some experience.

You gotta realize something. The local unis cohort are huge, if you add up all 3 of them, you are facing 15,000 local uni graduates. If 10% gets a first class, there are 1500 local uni graduates with 1st class honors.

If you think you should have a higher pay, you need to justify yourself. I am competent and smart, currently on my way to a first class honor. Completed a 6 months IA with a big MNC, internship during vacation and awards from the university. I have not found a job as well.

It is naive to think that all degrees are equal and people will judge you that way. The fact is that you are showing a DL first class/2nd upper but if you were to study in a local uni, you probably wouldn't even have a 3rd class. The kind of environment is totally different.
Hi, sorry but i dont think I should have a higher pay, and of course i'm not naive to think all degrees are equal haha, and certainly what you say is/may be very true about not even have achieved a 3rd class if we're in a local uni.

Yes, you are very right, and i would gladly accept $500 less than a uni grad.
My point is, many HR managers in Govt sector and other companies have an elitist mindset, and i agree to the previous comment prior to my comment (about elitism). So if so many companies want a local uni 1st class, where do we get jobs?

Just to share my exp abit more: Being a 1st class in local uni doesnt mean one can get the job done, the reason why I got the interview with the HR manager was because he hired 2 1st/2nd class local uni grad, who couldnt manage the job and left after 2 months.