Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Prospect of an chartering executive
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsly View Post
how would u advise if a fresh grad wishes to break into this line? how should i go about doing it? I'm due for graduation soon (exams finishing in may)but unlike most of my peers who r all rushing into the banking & finance industry, i'm actually looking elsewhere , in particular the maritime industry ( despite holding a economics toilet paper)..
I applied shipbroking traineeship with several big brokering hse but i doubt i could get in cos of the stiff competition.. I'm now looking at alternatives such as chartering exec..
Seems like very little firms r willing to hire fresh grad to be place right into their chartering team..or should i take up ops role first to be at a better bargaining position ?

TIA!
i came into the industry as a mid career switch but i had other experiences and skill set that my co found important. u can pick up the chartering part as u go along.

as for big brokering firms, the competition is stiff as some firms only keep a small 2-3 man set up... usually the FT will occupy the sales VP/SVP/Director positions and many of them can work remotely with their support team in, say Norway or HK.

i don't think they pay well for ops role but it's a start. cheers.