Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

u gotta be kidding me!

that friend of yours take 20+ years to set up a HDB mama shop at nearly 60 years old and this is suppose to be inspiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
18 months jobless is painfully long. Some more for a 36 yr old. I hope you have sufficient savings / investments to tide you over. Have you considered switching to nursing? I read that Singapore is in dire need of nurses. It is a recession proof vocation given our ageing population?

I would like to share a real life story, but in this day and age, no one would find it believable. A fren of mine after having worked in the hotel industry for many years, decided to call it quits because he just could not stand taking orders from younger bosses. This is a problem many people will face in this fast changing world. Many workers will find themselves reporting to younger bosses in their lifetime. Unless we humble ourselves to accept this, we would be placing unnecessary stress on ourselves and on the relationship with the bosses giving them reasons to boot us out.

Sorry for the digression, back to this fren. He was at that time, in his late 30s. After quitting, he vowed not to work for anyone. So what did he do? He went into the karang guni business. He started small. With a small second hand lorry, he went collecting old newspapers, cardboards, discarded stuff and appliances for resale.

Fast forward to today, 20+ years later, he is still at it. Now with a slightly bigger lorry and with 2 frens as part timers. He also saved enough to start a "mama" shop in the HDB block. He sometimes takes on house moving tasks.

Together with with his wife's income as a financial planner/advisor, he is supporting a family of 9, including his 80+ year old mother.

He is an inspiration if anything else of what the human spirit is capable of. Set a goal and stick to it with determination.