Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What do all these unfortunate 40s end up with? Taxi drivers? Property agents? what else?

My brother in law has this fear of being retrenched in the 40s because he worked as an engineer in a semi-con MNCs. From his observation, many engineers in his company reached EOC in their 40s, got retrenched and thereafter is forever hard to find a job again. He is in his 30s, the year before, he resigned, trying to switch line but failed. The company offered to get him back with a pay rise and happily accepted.

Other than IT line, semi-con, what are the most vulnerable industries for the 40s PMET?
I think there is no more iron rice bowl jobs in the world any more. Not even in the civil service. What people should do is to start saving and investing early in their careers. Put off unnecessary expenses, and channel the savings into investment. People become very vulnerable from their 40s onwards - their salary become uncomfortably high (high cost to their employers), they have parents to support, they still have school going children to bring up, housing loans to pay. And car loans too. It is no wonder this group of people feels insecure. Many are trapped in their high stress or non fulfilling jobs, because at their age the alternatives are really dire. Often they have to settle for much reduced pay, that is, if they are lucky to get another job. Or they become financial advisors or property agents. I understand these professions are like businesses where many times your expenses exceed your income.

On the other hand, if they had constantly put aside some savings and invest those throughout the years they could be reaping some fruits in their 40s. I am saying this because I see my uncles discussing their passive incomes from their investments be they property or shares or unit trusts. One was even saying that he was near to achieving his goal of getting his passive income to parity with his salary. This meant he could already retire and just rely on the passive income. He is certainly less stressed about losing his job.