Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What are you investing in?
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Zhang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
I like KL because the city is growing (Abeit slowly) from the increasing investments and tourism from the region and middle eastern states, also the Singapore government ties getting warmer with Malaysia would definitely benefit the capital. I was looking into the KL Sentral area primarily because of the upgraded rail lines. As a holiday house I find it ideal to take a train to KL and then walk to the condo, also since it’s a transit hub I believe the government would do more to enhance the area (they are already) which would add further enhancement.
Re KL, you brought up several very good points which I entirely concur with. I was thinking about KL pretty seriously as well, especially the Royal Domain place I was telling you about. But at the end of the day, was deterred by the fact that my investment thesis for KL is not as clean as that of JB Sentral i.e. a straightforward MRT bet.

The other considerations are:
- KL is pretty far away, should I need to handle any property logistics
- Prices in KL have actually risen quite a bit and some locals are of the view that price levels are somewhat bubbly
- Hard to figure out exactly where to buy, with so many potential areas to consider i.e. Taman Desa, Mont Kiara, KL Sentral, Cyberjaya etc, so really have to dig down and do pretty intensive research if I'm serious

I'll probably still look at KL at some point in time, but just not as my first Malaysian investment.

Quote:
I will look into Royal Domain, is there a sales office here you know of? Also check out the sammyboy forum (clean one) a lot of guys there are heavily into Msia investments. They helped me quite abit when I went into Iskandar to take a look.
If you are still keen on Royal Domain, you can check out iproperty.my - there are about 29 pages of ads on it. This is part of the reason I'm somewhat hesitant now - hard to imagine prices going up too much (at least in the near term) when its such a high density development with so many sellers.

Another possible option is Royal Regent, which is phase 3 of the Sri Putramas development (Royal Domain is 2nd phase) - more exclusive and newer, but slightly more expensive.

Condominium for Sale in Sri Putramas III Royal Regent, Jalan Kuching, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for RM 580,000

Quote:
Besides Malaysia there are some Singapore properties one can consider as well, I believe areas along the Thompson line should benefit immensely though it’s a long term play (2019?). Currently my focus is still more on SG then any area, primarily because I am more familiar with the market here and safety factor of course. Lets see if the market corrects or not.

Is your HDB fully paid up? If not you might want to consider paying that up first as it will restrict your investments in SG.

Just my thoughts
In Singapore, I agree with you re Thomson line properties. Other relatively cost effective developments, in my view, are Anchorage (S$1200+ psf for freehold at Queenstown), Aspen Heights ($1400+ psf for 999-yrs at River Valley), Jln Mutiara condos (a few developments in the area going for $1300+ psf for freehold near Great World City, while the opposite Latitude is going for $2200+ psf), and perhaps Avalon ($1700+ psf for freehold near Orange Grove road - next to Shangri-lah).

But post the latest measures, am just going to adopt a wait and see attitude re Singapore properties. My sense is that even if prices do not fall immediately, the new measures have made liquidity in the market considerably tighter (basically locks out PRs and foreigners, and also makes property investment a cash heavy exercise for local investors with one or more outstanding mortgages) and more prone to external shocks.

Good thing there are cheap properties in Malaysia to keep me engaged in the meantime