Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 18-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wern View Post
Not sure about MNCs but SMEs are the most whiney group of the lot. They've been leeching off cheap graduate FTs for so damn long that when suddenly the tap is cut off, they bitch and moan that Singapore grads are not willing to work for them. Duh when you have graduate salaries starting from $2000 per month who the hell would be willing to work for you? And its not like as if SMEs have any sort of career progression at all. Many of them are family owned and have no intention of grooming you to advance within their organization (because these positions are reserved for sons, grandsons uncles etc). Somemore because of the family nature of their business they treat outsiders/employees working for them worse than their Filipino maids. Expect calls during non-office hrs, weekends asking mundane and sometimes outrageous tasks.

The govt should just bitch slap them all and let the struggling ones die off or merge with similar industries if they really want to survive. The only SMEs that have succeeded in making it big (Yakun, Old Chang kee etc) are the ones that have ditched the "keep it within the family at all costs" mindset and hired properly paid, external talent to help them along.

Truer words have not been spoken. I unreservedly agree with you.

When I graduated from nus, i received this offer from a family firm and guess what?

They said they would pay me 2,300 per month *BUT* only after I have passed their "internal assessments" so I could only get 2,100 as a start. Naturally, I rejected the offer and am now paid 2,700 per month with US MNC.