Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me share something with you. I always had a car since uni, actually had in just before I ORD-ed. It was a Jap car. It was special driving to school back then when less than 5% of the school's population (my time) had a car. Felt really good and I had no shortage of attention. Being in NTU and having a car means that for those living in hostel, you are their "ticket" out for supper. No shortage of friends.

The car became my source of confidence. A self reassuring tool that made me feel that I was successful. When I graduated, I didn't earn much. Still, I mantained my car and bought season parking in CBD. It cost me $450 per month. But I felt good telling my colleagues I drove to work and sometimes I drive them out for lunch. Again, the car was my ticket to feeling good.

Then it escalates. I sold my JP car and bougth a continental car last year. Cost me almost S$200k. I used all my work savings and took a 7-yr car loan. My monthly expense drains me almost $2k+ (loan + petrol + season parking). I save $500-700 a month only.

In the eyes of alot of my colleagues and friends... I'm a high flyer. I'm doing well. I don't know how long this fascade can continue. I can't afford a house. I'm single, late 20s, living with my parents.

I've only my CPF and less than $10k savings. If I get married, it would be a 4RM hdb flat for me.

Living the SG dream... still.
I see many people flaming you. Let's just live and let live.

I guess you probably had a lot of free f**k when you were in uni and hostel, so your car is probably a good "investment"!